Traditional Egg Custard!
- For the tart
- 225g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 300g plain flour
- For the egg custard filling
- 4 eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 500ml milk
Prep:15min › Cook:45min › 2hr cooling
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Lightly grease the bottom of the cake tin with butter.
- In a bowl, cream together the butter, the 150g sugar and 1 egg until smooth. Blend in the flour to form a dough. You may have to knead by hand at the end.
- Roll the pastry out and place into the tin. If the pastry is a little too short, press it into the tin by hand covering the bottom and sides of the tin.
- For the egg custard filling: mix together the 4 eggs and 100g sugar and add vanilla extract in a bowl. Gradually stir in the cold milk until bind. Pour mixture over the pastry base and sprinkle over the nutmeg.
- Place in the oven for about 45 minutes until a knife inserted near the centre comes out clean. Once egg custard is set bring out from the oven and cool. Enjoy! – best served chilled!